1. Health

Esther Heerema, MSW

A Surprising Early Sign of Lewy Body Dementia

By March 29, 2013

What's a sign that you may be more likely to develop Lewy body dementia? Some might think that a symptom like memory loss or poor judgment would be on that list. Actually, according to researchers at the American Academy of Neurology annual meeting, acting out your dreams may be a key early symptom of Lewy body dementia.

Researchers presented a study at about REM sleep behavior disorder where people not only vividly dream but actually physically act out their dreams by moving their bodies, getting up, shouting, hitting and more. They found a significantly high correlation, especially for men, of acting out dreams and developing Lewy body dementia.

If you or your loved one has REM sleep behavior disorder, learn more about what Lewy body dementia is and how it's different from Alzheimer's disease.

Comments
April 1, 2013 at 9:59 pm
(1) pat driscoll says:

your information has helped me a great deal Thankyou

April 1, 2013 at 11:11 pm
(2) Elaine says:

My husband was diagnosed with Parkinson’s in 2006, and with dementia last year. He has virtually all the symptoms of Lewy Body dementia. I’m wondering if LBD and Parkinson’s with dementia are one and the same, which is the opinion of some Parkinson’s experts. The difference may be that reducing some of the Parkinson’s medications and the use of antipsychotic medication have helped somewhat. In any event, to be struck with both Parkinson’s and dementia is a tough blow.

April 6, 2013 at 9:36 pm
(3) Daughter/wife says:

My Father in law is diagnosed with Lewy Bodies, he has always been a pretty unpleasant character, so the diagnosis lets him off the hook somewhat. However I am now very concerned about my husband who is still young, 45, but exhibits signs of Lewy Bodies himself, he has vivid and active dreams, will scream out, act out and occasionally thow me out of bed, in his sleep. As the years have gone by he has become progressively more mean, hording up stashes of money, insisting I sell my assets, ensuring his name is on all documents connected with my assets, he has more and more severe waking dreams, and gets into arguements with his employers so is frequently fired, he is utterly paranoid, and checks all my phone calls, there are some friends I have had to ask not to contact me because if they do he reacts so strongly. My husbands father is 75, he is 45, I don’t think I can bear living like this, but am afraid my children will miss their father, is he just an arsehole, or does he have hereditary Lewy Bodies? I don’t know which answer is worse….

April 22, 2013 at 5:06 pm
(4) RAMONITA CRUZ says:

MY HUSBAND WHO IS A VIETNAM WAR PURPLE HEART VETERAN HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED FOR SERVERAL YEARS NOW WITH PTSD/CHRONIC DEPRESSION. HE HAS BEEN LIVING OUT HIS DREAMS CAUSING ME TO LEAVE THE BED AND GO TO ANOTHER ROOM, I HAVE BEEN HURT SEVERAL TIMES DUE TO HIS LIVING OUT THE DREAMS……HE HAS HAD A BAD CASE OF INVOLUNTARY LEG AND HAND MOVEMENT, ESPECIALLY WITH HIM SNAPPING HIS FINGERS A NOW ND MAKING AWKWARD FACIAL EXPRESSIONS WITH HIS MOUTH. IN APRIL 2013 HE WAS DIAGNOSED WITH LEWY BODY DEMENTIA — ACCORDING TO NEUROLOGIST HE HAS ALL THE CLASSIC SIGNS OR LBD, I UNDERSTAND THAT HE WANTS TO CHANGE HIS MEDICATIONS….MY HUSBAND ALSO SLEEPS WITH A C-PAP MACHINE DUE TO SLEEP APNEA AND HE ALSO WAKES UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT GASPING OR AIR…..WHAT SHOULD I DO HE IS ALREADY LIVING OUT HIS DREAMS AND HALLUCINATIONS….HOW MUCH MORE DIFFICULT SHOULD I EXPECT THINGS TO GET…..I DO NOT KNOW HOW MUCH MORE I CAN HANDLE…HE HAS ACCORDING TO THE VETERANS HOSPITAL A SHORT TIME BEFORE I HAVE TO DECIDE TO ADMIT HIM TO A SKILLED NURSING FACILITY……BECAUSE IT IS IN THE VERY NEAR FUTURE HE IS GOING TO HAVE REGIDTY OF THE LIMBS…….PLEASE HELP…..

June 20, 2013 at 2:20 am
(5) Amanda W. says:

The Exelon patch medication has helped SO MUCH with my mom’s lewy body dementia. She’s in the early stages (been about 2 years since onset of symptoms) but her symptoms were whopping big and we felt like she was only with us 75%….now she’s 95% and her symptoms are very minor. Get the patch.

June 20, 2013 at 2:22 am
(6) Amanda W. says:

The Exelon patch is amazing. My mom is sooooo much better. Try it!

October 14, 2013 at 5:01 pm
(7) Simone J says:

Amanda W, I agree with you 100%! My mother was just diagnosed with LBD in August and before the patch she seemed to be making a downward spiral – quickly! The patch has helped tremendously with her cognitive impairment. However, she still has days were she’s clearer than others. I’m very thankful for it. However, if you ask her, she’s just “getting better” and the patch has nothing to do with it. She has MAJOR denial regarding her illness.